[Kadam] Volapük Centre library

Brennus Volapükan brennusvp at legranus.me.uk
Mon Jun 24 19:59:46 IST 2013

Dear David,

Thanks for the explanation.   I am sorry that I cannot add anything
substantial.   Any knowledge I have would be from once-Cifal Johann
Schmidt’s ‘Jenotem Volapüka’, a history of Volapük, of which there is a
German version.   There is sure to be a lot in the Volapük periodicals of
the period to be found in the locations I mentioned, and maybe the odd
something in ‘Volapükagased pro nedänapükans’ between the 1930’s and 1960’s.

You have probably found out about the friction and eventual break with
Schleyer, Kerckhoff’s presidency of a break-away academy, that he
constructed variations of Volapük and eventually was convinced that an
international language should be based on natural languages, which led to an
early Interlingua.   In those contexts, you could contact supporters of Otto
Jespersen’s Idiom Neutral and the present day Interlingua movement, if you
need more information.   I am sure that it would make an interesting chapter
to trace the changes in his attitudes to constructed languages.

I hope that you will announce any work on Kerckhoffs that you may produce.
Perhaps there will be articles in your professional and university journals.

All the best,

Brian.