[EversonMono] Using Everson Mono in Windows cmd, bash, and PowerShell

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Nov 21 20:55:57 GMT 2016

On 21 Nov 2016, at 17:18, Carl Patenaude Poulin <carl.patenaudepoulin at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> As Everson Mono's support for unicode glyphs is unmatched among monospace fonts,

Thank you for saying so.

> I would like to use it in my various Windows terminals (cmd.exe, bash.exe, powershell.exe, all backed by conhost.exe). Unfortunately, those only allow fonts with the monospace bit checked. Is there no way to tweak Everson Mono to check that bit?

No, because then Microsoft (and perhaps other vendors) disallows the font because the combining characters (which are zero-width) are not permitted when the monospace bit is checked.

This isn’t my fault. I have suggested that there should be an OpenType bit for monowidth fonts that contain zero-width combining characters, but the people on the OpenType list didn’t seem to be interested.

Best regards,
Michael Everson