[EversonMono] Using Everson Mono in Windows cmd, bash, and PowerShell

John Hudson tiro at tiro.com
Mon Nov 21 21:39:11 GMT 2016

On 21/11/16 12:55, Michael Everson wrote:

> No, because then Microsoft (and perhaps other vendors) disallows the font because the combining characters (which are zero-width) are not permitted when the monospace bit is checked.
>
> This isn’t my fault. I have suggested that there should be an OpenType bit for monowidth fonts that contain zero-width combining characters, but the people on the OpenType list didn’t seem to be interested.

There is already a mechanism for handling combining mark characters in
OT monospaced fonts:

1. Set width of all glyphs, including combining marks, to standard width.

2. Use GPOS lookup in <mark> feature to collapse width of mark glyphs to
zero.

This is the method used in other monospaced fonts employed in terminal
emulators, e.f. Courier New, Consolas, etc.

JH