[EversonMono] Using Everson Mono in Mintty

Stephan Stiller stephan.stiller at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 03:18:37 IST 2016

> > I don't know in which regards (other than aesthetic ones) this
> particular terminal relies on such fonts being monowidth, but if there's a
> demand for sysadmin types or Unicode fans for *strict* monowidth fonts, an
> easy way would be to create a "one rectancle for each scalar value"-version
> of your font.
>
> “Easy”?

"Easy" in that it wouldn't require graphic design of new letters proper.

> All non-monowidth symbols, combining accents, etc, could be forced onto
> their (necessarily separate) rectancle, and certain control points can be
> represented in a descriptive/"fallback" way (eg "ZWNJ" crowded diagonally
> onto the rectangular space).
>
> Um, no. All the zero-width characters (including the joiners and
> non-joiners) in Everson Mono have a zero width, not the 575 units all the
> other characters have.
>
> > For certain editing purposes, I'd want to use that font, just like it
> can be useful to enable that "one visual glyph per scalar value
> (character?)" option in BabelPad.
>
> That ancient “monowidth” bit is pre-Unicode. It’s outdated. Maybe we need
> a “monowidth including combining marks” bit to be defined.

I see -- it'd be helpful for the Linux terminal guys to spell out their
precise requirements of monowidth fonts to be used within those terminals
and to specify the desired display of control characters. I'm not involved
with that community (and don't know what they have or haven't said on this
topic thus far), but if Patrick thinks that this would be a useful thing,
perhaps he could contact them?

Stephan