[EversonMono] Using Everson Mono in Mintty

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Mar 28 21:29:39 IST 2016

On 27 Mar 2016, at 03:08, Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don’t want to maintain two versions of Everson Mono.
>
> I don't know in which regards (other than aesthetic ones) this particular terminal relies on such fonts being monowidth, but if there's a demand for sysadmin types or Unicode fans for *strict* monowidth fonts, an easy way would be to create a "one rectancle for each scalar value"-version of your font.

“Easy”?

> All non-monowidth symbols, combining accents, etc, could be forced onto their (necessarily separate) rectancle, and certain control points can be represented in a descriptive/"fallback" way (eg "ZWNJ" crowded diagonally onto the rectangular space).

Um, no. All the zero-width characters (including the joiners and non-joiners) in Everson Mono have a zero width, not the 575 units all the other characters have.

> For certain editing purposes, I'd want to use that font, just like it can be useful to enable that "one visual glyph per scalar value (character?)" option in BabelPad.

That ancient “monowidth” bit is pre-Unicode. It’s outdated. Maybe we need a “monowidth including combining marks” bit to be defined.

Michael