[EversonMono] alef-lamed ligature

Gildas Hamel gweltaz at ucsc.edu
Mon Feb 18 20:40:52 GMT 2013

* Skriv a reas John Hudson (tiro at tiro.com):
  |>  Michael, with what layout feature have you associated the
  |>  alef-lamed ligature? If it is associated with the standard
  |>  ligatures feature (OpenType <liga>), it will be on by default in
  |>  some software. Gildas notes that the ligature does not occur
  |>  when using the SBL Hebrew font, in which the ligature is
  |>  associated with the discretionary ligature feature (OpenType
  |>  <dlig>). The difference between these features is the default
  |>  state in supporting software: <liga> is on by default but should
  |>  be possible to turn off, while <dlig> is off by default but
  |>  should be possible to turn on. The alef-lamed ligature should be
  |>  considered a discretionary ligature because it has never been a
  |>  standard feature of Hebrew script. [The history of this ligature
  |>  is fascinating: it was borrowed into Hebrew usage from
  |>  Judaeo-Arabic, where it was originally used only to write the
  |>  definite article al-.]
  |>
  |>  JH

Thank you Michael and John for your patience in helping me understand better what I'm seeing on my machine. I just used Everson Mono to type some Hebrew in Pages, Bean, TextMate and TeXShop, opened the Fonts application for each, went to typography, made sure Common Ligatures (the only option) was ticked off for each, and indeed couldn't turn off the alef-lamed ligature in those applications.
--Gildas