[EversonMono] alef-lamed ligature

Gildas Hamel gweltaz at ucsc.edu
Mon Feb 18 06:25:28 GMT 2013

* Skriv a reas Rodger Whitlock (totototo at telus.net):
  |>  On 17 Feb 2013, at 17:01, Gildas Hamel wrote:
  |>
  |>  > Is it possible to escape the alef lamed ligature? I prefer to see the separate
  |>  > letters א and ל. I couldn't find any information as to whether I had the
  |>  > choice, however. Any help appreciated.
  |>
  |>  Generally speaking, the use of ligatures is controlled by the preferences (or
  |>  "options") within your word processing program. As I understand it, fonts
  |>  merely make ligatures available, but don't force their use.
  |>
  |>  If all else fails, try inserting a zero-width space U+200B between the two
  |>  letters.

I'm using TextMate or TeXShop and XeLaTeX for typesetting.  The XeLaTeX typesetting of the sequence alef-lamed, while producing אל (ligatured) in Everson Mono in the TextMate editor, decomposes it properly in the typeset copy when I use a Hebrew font (SBL Hebrew). If I switch from SBL Hebrew to Everson Mono, I get the ligatured אל (is this expected?).
--Gildas