[EversonMono] ligatures

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Jul 3 09:56:26 IST 2012

On 3 Jul 2012, at 00:30, Peter Cyrus wrote:

> As I was downloading the update, I reread your intro, and started thinking about the ligatures.
>
> Ligatures like æ should definitely be one monospace, and I assume you're not talking about letter+diacritic as a ligature.

What about fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ſt, st ligatures? At present these are ff, fl, ffi, ffl, ſt, and st. But I would never make these obligatory ligatures. shuffle looks better than shuffle.

> But other ligatures, like the conjuncts from Indian scripts, should be two spaces wide, IMHO.  The use of a ligature is not intended to compress the text, but to make connections between letters that can't be generalized.

Some ligatures are compressed (or rather don't take extra width), such as Devanagari kṣa. But there are other difficulties: Devanagari typewriters had full-width and half-width advancing characters, I believe, so in tta, you'd have a half-width t- and a full-width ta.

At present Everson Mono does not attempt to represent such complex scripts, however. Thai is the most complex so far.

> And wouldn't another benefit of monospace be that applications could predict the screen width of text based on the encoded form, e.g. counting the letters (and discarding accents)?

At present it is impossible to turn on the "monospace" bit because Everson Mono has both 575-em and 0-em characters, and there's no OpenType definition that supports that.