[EversonMono] ligatures

Peter Cyrus pcyrus at alivox.net
Tue Jul 3 00:30:40 IST 2012

As I was downloading the update, I reread your intro, and started thinking
about the ligatures.

Ligatures like æ should definitely be one monospace, and I assume you're
not talking about letter+diacritic as a ligature.

But other ligatures, like the conjuncts from Indian scripts, should be two
spaces wide, IMHO.  The use of a ligature is not intended to compress the
text, but to make connections between letters that can't be generalized.

And wouldn't another benefit of monospace be that applications could
predict the screen width of text based on the encoded form, e.g. counting
the letters (and discarding accents)?