[EversonMono] Everson Mono is now available as a webfont

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jan 13 11:09:08 GMT 2012

On 10 Jan 2012, at 19:18, Chris Lilley wrote:

> No, Firefox supports WOFF as of version 3.6 and Opera from version 11.
>
> However, Firefox does (per spec) implement a same-origin restriction so if the server that serves the document and the one that serves the font differ,it will not use it.

Everything is on the same server, but there were spaces in the font file names and in the css declaractions of font names and when I took those out, the problem was fixed.

To convert to WOFF I used sfnt2woff http://people.mozilla.com/%7Ejkew/woff/ -- The information there does not tell you how to get it set up so that your command-line finds it in Terminal, but a friend set it up for me.

To convert to EOF I used EOTFast via XP under Parallels. I saw a note http://www.useragentman.com/blog/2011/02/20/converting-font-face-fonts-quickly-in-any-os/ that ttf2eot http://code.google.com/p/ttf2eot/ would run under Mac OS, but as usual there was no information from the coders as to how to install or use it. I really hate programmers sometimes.

On 10 Jan 2012, at 19:32, Chris Lilley wrote:

> The font is correctly declared in the stylesheet with the right format. (Its served as text/plain rather than application/font-woff but that does not seem to cause a problem).

Should I change the stylesheet? My stylesheet was sort of based on something MyFonts gave me and an existing stylesheet which I had taken from the Unicode Consortium years ago for another project. Interestingly, on Mac OS, the wonderful browser iCab which does a great job of jparsing .css stylesheets says that:

CSS Error: the pseudo-class """ is unknown.
CSS Error: the property "src" is unknown.

But I have no idea how to fix this, so I am not CSS compliant.

> I ran one of the woffs (the bold) against the WOFF validator and it passed all the tests (report attached).

You didn't attach a report, but the bold is experimental (I haven't released a bold Everson Mono yet)... Maybe you could check against the roman and/or the italic?

> There is no metadata though, just a comment on the license in the stylesheet. I can make you a metadata file, if you want,which is included in the woff itself so that the font data and the license always travel together.

I, um, don't quite understand what you're looking for here. Can snft2woff insert such metadata when converting?

I notice that pages take a bit of time to load the first time but I assume this is just because Everson Mono is large as it contains a lot of glyphs.