[EversonMono] Version 6.2.1 released

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 10 17:59:02 GMT 2012

On 12/10/2012 3:17 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2012, at 00:36, Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One could have "testing" releases (like what they do for various Linux distros), with the "stable" releases having only (as far as this is feasible) additive changes.
> How would I do that? I do not use Linux.

You would simply offer two download links:

One for the "bleeding edge" version, but without guarantees that glyph
mappings are stable.
Another one for the "latest stable" version that guarantees all glyphs
are mapped to fully stable characters.

Or you could have links to all your versions and simply label one of
them as the "newest" and another one as the "newest stable" (meaning it
has no mappings to not-yet published characters in it).

As more characters get published, the a different release would become
the latest "stable" version.

Now, if you always get very far ahead in your font work by adding glyphs
for which the characters would not be published for years, then you
would have the quandary of what to do with glyph corrections (it would
be some time before they reach the "stable" release).

In that case, the alternative model is that you work as you do now, but
after each update, you make a copy, delete all "pending" glyphs, and
call that copy the "stable version".

Whichever scheme you choose, your users would have the benefit of always
having a guaranteed "stable" font, while you could have the benefit of
working with preliminary characters.

A./