[EversonMono] Version 6.2.1 released

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 10 17:59:02 GMT 2012

On 12/10/2012 3:17 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2012, at 00:36, Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One could have "testing" releases (like what they do for various Linux distros), with the "stable" releases having only (as far as this is feasible) additive changes.
> How would I do that? I do not use Linux.

You would simply offer two download links:

One for the "bleeding edge" version, but without guarantees that glyph 
mappings are stable.
Another one for the "latest stable" version that guarantees all glyphs 
are mapped to fully stable characters.

Or you could have links to all your versions and simply label one of 
them as the "newest" and another one as the "newest stable" (meaning it 
has no mappings to not-yet published characters in it).

As more characters get published, the a different release would become 
the latest "stable" version.

Now, if you always get very far ahead in your font work by adding glyphs 
for which the characters would not be published for years, then you 
would have the quandary of what to do with glyph corrections (it would 
be some time before they reach the "stable" release).

In that case, the alternative model is that you work as you do now, but 
after each update, you make a copy, delete all "pending" glyphs, and 
call that copy the "stable version".

Whichever scheme you choose, your users would have the benefit of always 
having a guaranteed "stable" font, while you could have the benefit of 
working with preliminary characters.


More information about the EversonMono mailing list