[EversonMono] Version 6.2.1 released

Stephan Stiller stephan.stiller at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 17:35:10 GMT 2012

> How would I do that? I do not use Linux.

This is software {development / life cycle / release / management}
terminology. Most notably, the Debian distribution of Linux uses this model:
     http://www.debian.org/releases/
Their three-step model is really meant for bug fixing and further
testing, after a so-called feature freeze. In many cases, the release
dependencies and versioning is more complicated. For example, the Fedora
distribution of Linux functions as a quasi-testing release platform for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is regularly branched off of Fedora.

All this doesn't require any Linux knowledge, though – it's just the
concept that may be incorporated in whatever version management fits
best. Also, after I wrote my earlier email, I was thinking that
"testing" might not be the most suitable label; something like
"development" or "experimental" might fit better. I suppose that one
could have releases with ordinary version numbers that are strictly
additive (or fixes to bugs detected after release) and releases with
version numbers like 6.2.0+exp1, 6.2.0+exp2, ... that indicate that
experimental additions have been added to 6.2.0, which has only glyph
assignments that won't change (?). (The experimental additions could be
numbered strictly sequentially, because to require additivity for
version numbering for those seems like overkill. I don't know how you
generate your font and whether you ever change underlying font metrics
and such; there are version numbering schemes that address such cases,
but that would also likely be overkill in your case.) Supplying a file
informing users about unstable codepoint/glyph assignments would be
useful. Also there is a question of whether experimental versions would
use a different font name (like "Everson Mono exp" or "EM-6.2.0exp2") so
that one can do experiments and use stable versions side-by-side. These
are just ideas.

Stephan