[EversonMono] Monoline Font

Shab Levy shablevy at comcast.net
Sun Jul 31 01:49:39 IST 2011

Hello,

I just joined your forum, having discovered very recently Michael
Everson's monowidth font. For a short moment I thought that I had a
solution to my problem: I needed a monoline font, that is, a font made
of a single line, not an outline loop like normal fonts require so they
can be used universally. I needed (still do) a font that would have no
width created by the outline of the font, as narrow as this outline
might be, but a font composed of single strokes. I was aware of the work
done by Dr. Hershey years ago.
(http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/idl_html_help/About_Hershey_Vector_Fonts.html)
and (http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/hershey/) Hershey's font is too
cumbersome and does not solve the problem for me. Some CAD computer
programs use single line fonts but these are proprietary to such
programs and impossible to use as normal fonts outside the programs.

The reason I needed single line characters was because I used a pen
plotter on a very small area and any "normal" font would be too thick
for my application. (Because a plotter that is drawing a letter from a
normal font, has to make the outline of this font, which makes the
letter too thick.)

Eventually I solved my problem temporarily by creating vector line
drawings of a simple font but I could not use the keyboard to enter
characters since my "font" was simply an illustration of a character,
rather than a regular font.

Although I have given up on a monoline font, I am still interested,
albeit, mostly academically now, if it is possible to create a single
line font like this:

Please remember, the sample is made of pictures of characters, it is not
a real font.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Shab Levy
www.gravitram.com