[EversonMono] Is something wrong with Everson Mono's oblique?

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Wed Nov 24 22:43:20 GMT 2010

Historically, italic was a style of type created during the Renaissance,
based on the best handwriting of the Italian humanists (hence the name
"italics").  If you take a calligraphy pen and hold it as right-handed
people usually do, with the nib slanted at 40 degrees or so, and write
nicely, you'll get something like italic.  It was originally a
standalone style; entire books were set in it.  Later on, as Adam said,
the custom became established of using italic as a companion face to
roman type.

If you carefully compare an oblique (an "italic" version of a sans-serif
font such as Arial) to a true italic, you will see the differences
between the two.  Italic is a companion to serifed roman faces; oblique
is a companion to sans-serif faces, being simply a slanted version
without the calligraphic touches that characterize italic.  It is true
that italics developed from the handwriting of the humanists, but it is
a traditional style on its own and not to be confused with the
"handwriting" fonts such as Comic Sans.

The fact that you apply "italics" to a serif or sans-serif font in your
word processor by pressing control-I or something obscures the
difference for many people.

David