[EversonMono] Is something wrong with Everson Mono's oblique?

Lukas Müllner lm at rosebud-inc.com
Tue Nov 9 09:24:21 GMT 2010

follow-up on:
> Now I've tested on Mac OS X 10.6, and found that - unlike OS 10.5 - it
> doesn't work there. *Neither* in Firefox nor in Safari: Firefox
> *appears* to work, however it fails to display the *regular* style - it
> only displays the oblique style. (It displays font-style:normal in a
> oblique font face.) While Safari more or less has the opposite problem
> - it rejects to display the oblique style.
>
> I think there is some bug in the font:
>
> On OS X 10.5 Leopard, then both the oblique font as well as the
> regular/normal font shows up in FontBook.app as True Type fonts.
> Whereas in OS X 10.6 SnowLeopard, then the Regular font is listed as
> 'OpenType TrueType' font (the 'DejaVu' fonts are combined OpenType
> TrueType fonts as well), whereas the Oblique font is listed as a
> 'TrueType' font only.
>
> I also noticed that the file name of the Oblique font is
> 'EversonMonoOblique.ttf' whereas the file name of the Regular font has
> space inside itself - 'Everson Mono.ttf'.
>
> The reason why Firefox and Safari behave differently might perhaps be
> because the one prefers OpenType fonts over TruType, while the other
> prefers TrueType over OpenType?
>
> So, may be the fix is to make sure that both fonts are saved as exactly
> the same kind of font. May be either adding a sapce between 'Everson'
> and 'Mono' for the Oblique font - or removing the space in the regular
> font - could also help.

basically i found out the same thing. weird enough, it works in both browsers if you just declare:

font-family: 'Everson Mono'

and only have the oblique version activated (via linotype fontexplorer or fontbook) …
it would be very nice though to have both fonts in open type - then there’s no problem at all i guess.

-lukas

--
lukas müllner
rosebud, inc.