[EversonMono] Everson Mono not monospaced

Charles Reilly charles.reilly at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 15:08:46 IST 2010

Thanks for all the feedback.

The font is certainly marked as monospaced; if I ask Windows for a
list of monospaced fonts it includes Everson Mono.

However, when text is rendered with Uniscribe the characters aren't
equally spaced.

So I did a bit more digging.

In the Font Header table (head) bit 4 of the flags field is set.  This
means "Instructions may alter advance width (the advance widths might
not scale linearly)".

The font also includes a Horizontal Device Metrics (hdmx) table.  This
contains precomputed advance widths for various pixel sizes.

For pixel size 9, the precomputed advance widths for the first few
glyphs are: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 6.

As you can see, they are not all the same.  Uniscribe seems to be
correctly interpreting this table and displaying text with varying
advance widths; i.e. the font isn't monospaced.

I suspect this is a problem with the tool used to create the font.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers,
Charles