[EversonMono] Is something wrong with Everson Mono's oblique?

John Hudson tiro at tiro.com
Tue Dec 14 22:40:32 GMT 2010

James Cloos wrote:

> AIUI, MS calls a font OpenType if it is a sfnt/cff or if it has certain
> tables, such as GSUB, which come from the OpenType spec.  Others may do
> so, too.

This depends on the version of Windows. When OpenType was originally
introduced in Windows XP, a TrueType-flavour (.ttf) font was considered
OpenType, ans given the OT icon in the font directory, if it contained a
digital signature. The reason for this was that the OpenType Layout
tables -- GSUB, GPOS, etc. -- are all optional according to the OT spec.
So a font got the OT icon if it were a) a TrueType font with a DSIG
table, or b) a PostScript CFF (.otf) font.

More recently, I believe this has been changed so that any font with
OpenType Layout tables is considered OpenType, since these provide the
functionality that most users associate with OpenType.

Michael, what are the file extensions of the two fonts in question? Both
.ttf, both .otf, or are they different? Have you opened the two fonts in
FontLab to check what kind of outlines they contain? It is possible that
you might have accidentally generated one of them as a CFF font and one
as TrueType. I've done that before.

JH