[EversonMono] Everson Mono error?

John Hudson tiro at tiro.com
Mon Sep 21 02:35:47 IST 2009

Michael wrote:

> Thus sayeth Yannis:

> ... The very first facsimile of a manuscript in
> Thompson (1912) in which I can see a tilde circumflex is the very last
> one chronologically, dating from 1479 (Thompson 1912:268). The
> innovation of the tilde, of course, came just in time to be transferred
> into Greek printing, where it has been entrenched ever since.

Thanks for that. When I have some time, I will prowl through my
palaeography texts and see if I can find any earlier examples: not to
question Yannis, but to see if the circumstance of the earliest tilde
perispomeni indicates anything about its origin.

As Yannis notes, this form is entrenched in Greek printing, so the
choice of form largely depends on who your target users are.

JH