[EversonMono] Everson Mono error?

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Sep 20 23:46:35 IST 2009

On 20 Sep 2009, at 22:27, John Hudson wrote:

> The inverted breve form is a British classicist innovation that
> first appears, tyographically, in the famous Porson Greek type,
> which remains a standard for much Anglo-American scholarship in part
> because of its use in the ubiquitous Lobe Classics series. I've long
> assumed this shape to be simply an abbreviated form of the tilde-
> like perispomeni, copied from Porson's handwriting. The tilde-like
> form is the historical norm, and I believe remains the common form
> everywhere except Anglo-American academia.

Thus sayeth Yannis:

The inverted breve is associated historically with the early 19th
century English classicist Richard Porson, whose typeface design has
dominated English classical studies since; it's what you'll see in the
Loeb Classical Library(even after their recent typeface redesign).
However, Porson's circumflex is in fact a revival of the older shape
of the diacritic. Historically, the inverted breve is what appeared
first on the papyri, as a quicker way of writing ˆ = ´ `; it continued
in use in both uncials (early mediaeval) and minuscules (lowercase,
late mediaeval) manuscripts. The very first facsimile of a manuscript
in Thompson (1912) in which I can see a tilde circumflex is the very
last one chronologically, dating from 1479 (Thompson 1912:268). The
innovation of the tilde, of course, came just in time to be
transferred into Greek printing, where it has been entrenched ever
since.