[EversonMono] Perispomeni (was: Everson Mono error?

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Oct 20 08:38:56 IST 2009

I would say that the tilde is the form traditionally used in Greece.
This argument is unfortunately of little importance nowadays since
most people in Greece do not use perispomeni anymore (after the
criminal reform of 1982). Nevertheless, if we consider Everson Mono as
a font inspired from typewriter esthetics, then the tilde is the
logical choice since Greek typewriters were mostly produced for the
Greek market. There is a very nice Greek typewriter font which you can
see on the font catalog page of my Web site <http://www.polytoniko.org/fonts.php
 >, it is called FF Elementa Greek Polytonic, and it has been designed
by Mindaugas Strockis for FontFont. As you can see on the sample
given, the omega carries a very nice tilde (mustache), and this is
exactly the typewriter esthetics I grew up with.

On the other hand, if you consider that most Everson Mono users are
non-Greeks having done classical studies, then the inverse breve is
probably the form they will appreciate the most, as this is form used
in the Porson typeface (Oxford tradition) and in Greek Sans/Belles
Lettres (French tradition). People from Cambridge will appreciate the
tilde (since Cambridge publications are traditionally typeset in New
Hellenic).

Hope that helps…

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                               twitter :
y_haralambous |
|                                             Tel. +33 (0)
2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33 (0)
2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| Télécom
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest Cedex 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.