[EversonMono] Everson Mono: mac os: mozilla mac os x 10.5 yiddish hebrew test

John Hudson tiro at tiro.com
Fri Mar 13 04:33:21 GMT 2009

> OK, but I'm curious: what causes the proper horizontal placement of
> diacritics evident
> for the most part with, e.g., Lucida Grande, New Peninim MT, and Raanana?

I'm guessing, since I don't have the fonts handy, that they have AAT
tables (see previous message), since they ship bundled with Mac OS.

AAT is a clever technology, but since it is Mac-only and not supported,
even on the Mac, by major developers like Adobe, it is something of a
dead-end, and unless one is making a font for Apple there is very little
incentive to do the considerable work necessary to develop AAT tables.
Also, because the functionality of AAT and OT are not perfectly
parallel, there is no easy path to convert layout intelligence from one
to the other. I know almost no font developers who are making AAT fonts,
whereas almost everyone is making OT now.

J.