[EversonMono] Everson Mono: mac os: mozilla mac os x 10.5 yiddish hebrew test

Mark H. David mhd at yv.org
Fri Mar 13 02:15:35 GMT 2009

I'm reporting two bugs with Everson Mono that manifest themselves
in Firefox with the following version string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021906 Firefox/3.0.7

I'm enclosing an HTML file that displays a sample of Yiddish (Hebrew
script) with various fonts built in or freely downloadable and installable
on Mac OS X.

I'm also enclosing a PDF showing how the results appear on my system.

(The PDF was created by doing File -> Print -> PDF -> Save as PDF ...)

Every font shown EXCEPT Everson Mono looks the same in the PDF as in Firefox.

It's different, and messed up, Everson Mono in the PDF.
So I'm enclosing a screen image of just how that looks on screen.

That's problem #1: bad rendering into a PDF.  I presume that means there's
a problem printing in general, but I haven't had a chance yet to try printing
on actual paper.

Problem #2: for this font we're seeing substitution of the
alef-lamed character (U+FB4F) for alef+lamed sequence (U+05D0 U+05DC),
which is inappropriate, and is not done with this font on
other configurations (e.g., Windows, Linux, same Firefox version),
nor with other fonts on this configuration.

Other fonts have plenty of their own bugs with Hebrew/Yiddish,
mind you, sadly, just not these two.

Thanks,
Mark