[EversonMono] everson mono - bugs with Yiddish (Hebrew) with dagesh

Sorin Paliga sorin_paliga at mac.com
Wed Mar 4 06:01:39 GMT 2009

Hello

I have followed the discussion, but—as my knowledge of Hebrew is null
—I could not say anything.
If the problem is enlarged to, say, Combining Diacritical Marks, then
I may comment. The way in which an application handles CDM’s is the
basic one in choosing my word processor. As a mac user, I may note
TextEdit may deal with this issue quite fine, just that one cannot use
for a more serious work. Out of all, Nisus seems the best here, Mellel
only with OTF’s (Doulos and Charis in attached stuff). Mellel also
has a problem with conversion table. Even if all fonts are there, it
still cannot associate them correctly (see screenshots). Out of DTP
apps, iCalamus may be noted as wonderfully dealing with CDM’s.
None current office app may handle this, i.e. Pages, Word 2004/2008,
OpenOffice/NeoOffice are unusable if one wishes to use CDM’s.

Hope this helps to clarifying some issues.

On Mar 3, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Mark H. David wrote:

> OK, so this doesn't work right on Firefox/MacOS or Nisus Writer
> Express
> on my version of MacOS "Tiger" (10.4.x).
>
> Can someone confirm this?
>
> Can someone readily try this with the other main browsers, Opera and
> Safari?
>
> Can someone find out if this misbehavior happens with current OS
> "Leopard"
> (10.5.x)?
>
> Can someone find out if there are other character combinations that
> do this kind of substitution, and if they manifest the problem, and
> report a few sample cases?  Ideally in some widely known Western
> language.  How about a+umlaut, for example?
>
> Does someone know whether the renderer for all the failing cases
> is common, and what that renderer is, and how to file a bug for it?
>
> I usually only have access to one mac when my wife & kids don't need
> it.
> I guess I could visit the Apple store if I have to.
>
> Anyhow, I'll try to fill this info out as far as possible.  I'd like
> to see this fixed (if it's not already in the "future" release).
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Sorin Paliga
University of Bucharest