[EversonMono] everson mono - bugs with Yiddish (Hebrew) with dagesh

John Hudson tiro at tiro.com
Tue Mar 3 01:21:20 GMT 2009

Mark H. David wrote:

> OK, I think I've got a description that precisely accounts for all the
> problems: the dagesh is combined with the base character *following* its
> base character, and the base character is rendered unadorned (without
> dagesh) and the following base character has the corresponding
> char+dagesh character from FBxx (alpahabetic presentation forms Unicode
> range) rendered in its place.

It is possible that what you are seeing is not actually combination of
the mark with the following base, but merely a blind offset to the left,
causing the mark to appear as if combined with the following letter.
That could happen if a layout engine simply has no idea what to do with
the dagesh at all, is not performing character-level substitution of
Aphabetic Presentation Forms, is not performing OT GSUB ligation, and is
not performing OT GPOS dynamic positioning. If this is that case, you
will see a similar offset onto a following letter even if that letter is
not one that normally takes dagesh.

I'm afraid I have deleted your initial mail on this subject. Could you
provide a screenshot showing the problem?

If the font is behaving correctly in Mellel, as I believe you indicated
previously, then I think you can be reasonably sure that the bug is not
in the font.

John Hudson