[EversonMono] Swap half circles

John H. Jenkins jenkins at apple.com
Mon Dec 8 17:31:36 GMT 2008

 From playing with Courier and Monaco, squeezing two letters into one
em looks squashed, and spreading actual ligatures over two ems looks
stretched.  Either result is ugly.  Personally, I'd suggest that a
monospaced font should include the ligatures and digraphs explicitly
encoded in Unicode, but not provide support for ligation via OpenType
or AAT.

(After all, the whole rationale for the Latin ligatures still in use
is largely a matter of preventing collisions between pieces of
different letters, and that's rather moot for monospaced fonts.)

On Dec 7, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

> I agree, though they aren't particularly splendid squeezed into a
> monowidth em of 575. Of course one response to that is to use an em
> of 1050; I have done that with Linear B for instance.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins at apple.com