[EversonMono] Swap half circles

Asmus Freytag asmus at unicode.org
Mon Dec 8 06:05:32 GMT 2008

On 12/7/2008 4:31 AM, Yannis Haralambous wrote:

> Le 7 déc. 08 à 13:20, Michael Everson a écrit :
>

>> Fraktur typewriters had "ch" and other ligatures, didn't they?
>
> I took a picture of my Fraktur typewriter for you. It has only the ch
> ligature (and ß, if we can call it a ligature). It misses all the
> other ligatures. For some reason "ch" was considered as more important
> (although, IMHO, "ck" is just as important as "ch"...).

Yannis,

nice picture!

In German, "ch" is among the most common digraph altogether, certainly
the most common among the ones with ligatures in Fraktur. Only digraphs
like "en" and "er" exceed it in frequency, while "ck" occurs at less
than 1/12th the frequency, and the "standard" f- or s- based ligatures
are also not as frequent as "ch". Of all of them "st" would occur
perhaps half as often as "ch". If I had to design of that typewriter, I
think I'd certainly want to make sure that any ligatures would make
important contributions to the result, not just from how far their
absence would compromise the look of a given word. but also whether they
would be likely to show up in a short piece of typed text.

A./