[EversonMono] Swap half circles

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sun Dec 7 12:31:22 GMT 2008

Le 7 déc. 08 à 13:20, Michael Everson a écrit :

> On 7 Dec 2008, at 11:28, Yannis Haralambous wrote:
>
>> If you consider the semantics of "Mono" as being equivalent to
>> "typewriter" then it wouldn't be stylistically correct to use
>> ligatures.
>
> Fraktur typewriters had "ch" and other ligatures, didn't they?

I took a picture of my Fraktur typewriter for you. It has only the ch
ligature (and ß, if we can call it a ligature). It misses all the
other ligatures. For some reason "ch" was considered as more important
(although, IMHO, "ck" is just as important as "ch"...).

>> If, on the other hand, you consider this font as being a passe-
>> partout font to be used on all possible occasions, then why not...
>
> Well, I use it for e-mail. Pretty good Unicode support ;-)
>
>> But then you also the need the ones for long s, as well as all
>> combinations of f and long s.
>
> I guess I was thinking of the question of adding support for the
> ligatures that are at U+FB00..FB06 and the Armenian ones in the same
> block. I guess if I do I should make them discretionary rather than
> standard ligatures.

Those of Armenian are certainly very important, since they are more
than just "bringing the glyphs closer", in fact they make glyphs
juggle into something entirely new. I think they are necessary for
every Armenian font.

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| TELECOM
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.