[EversonMono] Greek lowercase alpha with lenis and acute

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Aug 22 18:11:59 IST 2008

I didn't mentioned marks after because Michael will have the same
problems in squezzing the glyphs. But yes indeed, one could very well
put them after the capital letter. Italians do that with the acute
accent still today.

There is another usage of marks above capitals: today, in Greece, to
disambiguate all-caps words one will place an accent above the letter,
if it is not an initial letter. If it is an initial letter then one
will place accent and breathing in front of it as usual.

Examples:

there are words πότε (= when) and ποτέ (= never), to
disambiguate one will write ΠÓΤΕ or ΠΟΤÉ
there are words ἤ (= or) and ἡ (= the), to disambiguate one will
write Ἤ or Η

which means that we need glyphs for uppercase vowels with acute, grave
and perispomeni.

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| TELECOM
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.