[EversonMono] Box Drawing Characters (Re: Everson Mono updated)

Karl Pentzlin karl-pentzlin at acssoft.de
Fri Aug 8 11:07:39 IST 2008

Am Freitag, 8. August 2008 um 08:29 schrieb Michael Everson:

ME> On 7 Aug 2008, at 10:52, Timothy Cook wrote:
ME> > The one feature I hope to see in a future version of Everson Mono
ME> > (and, indeed, all monospaced unicode fonts) is proper kerning, at
ME> > all font sizes, of the boxdrawing characters.
ME> Years ago when I drew those I was fairly sure they were drawn
ME> accurately. However, it is hard to test. ...

A side remark, without any benefit to actual font design:
Why are the box drawing characters U+2500...U+257F) together with the
block elements (U+2580...U+259F) and the "inverse geometric shapes"
U+25D8...U+25DB subject to font design at all?
In my opinion, an operating system encountering these characters
should merely treat them as instructions how to fill a character cell,
recurring to font elements (U+2022, U+25CB, maybe U+20E0, U+25E1) only
when interpreting the "inverse geometric shapes".
(Of course, I know that this is not the case with actual operating
systems.)

- Karl Pentzlin