[EversonMono] Fontforge, and Shavian mono?

Kenneth Reid Beesley krbeesley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 18:53:22 IST 2008

On 7 Aug 2008, at 01:28, Michael Everson wrote:

> On 7 Aug 2008, at 03:41, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
>
>> I'm not saying that you should use it on Linux. The software is
>> also available for MS Windows and Mac OS.
>
> Obviously I would not use it under Windows. And in the Mac OS it is
> not available except under the X11 Linux interface.

Just a _friendly_ note here.  X11 is not really a "Linux interface"
but rather an implementation of the X Window System, common
on most Unix-like systems (not just Linux) and on OS X but not usually
on Windows (except via third-party implementations).
It has long been available for OS X  (http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/X11.html
).  As of OS X 10.5 (Leopard) X11 is
installed by default (in /usr/X11).

George Williams, the creator of FontForge, tries to make it as usable
as possible.  The installation may be painful for some people (I do
appreciate that), but he supplies Mac-specific installation
instructions (http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/mac-install.html), and
in my experience both George (and other Mac/FontForge enthusiasts) are
ready to help. Perhaps you have a Unix/Linux/OS X power-user around
the office who could help with installation.  It may seem painful, but
I venture to suggest that it might be worth it.

Although I'm a font-editing novice, I have used FontForge successfully
on OS X and have found it very valuable.   You can choose the encoding/
range of your font, including the Unicode BMP and even full Unicode
(including the supplementary characters).   I used it successfully to
create a version of the Deja Vu Mono font, adding Deseret Alphabet
glyphs in their proper supplementary block, for use in the Vim editor,
which needs (or at least works much better with) a mono-width font.

By the way, does anyone out there know of a high-quality Shavian font
(preferably already mono) that I could merge into Deja Vu?

Best,

Ken

Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
P.O. Box 540475