[EversonMono] Everson Mono updated

Timothy Cook z993126 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 10:52:06 IST 2008

The one feature I hope to see in a future version of Everson Mono
(and, indeed, all monospaced unicode fonts) is proper kerning, at all
font sizes, of the boxdrawing characters.  Of course, there is also an
issue with platform compatibility.  Say, displaying a box around text
in the PuTTY telnet client using, e.g., 10 pt. MS SimSun; it works
correctly in WinXP but comes out as dashed lines at some other sizes,
and in Vista won't show solid lines as it ought at *any* size.  So I
don't know if this is even a solvabe problem...I know some unicode
fonts have other rendering issues with the boxdrawing characters, such
as using a two-byte space but only having the glyph in the first half.
 You'd think characters whose raison d'etre is the creation of solid
borders around text would have specific layout instructions, like the
spacing modifier and directional indicator characters.

Sent from Gmail for mobile

--

Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net