[EversonMono] Everson Mono updated

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 03:41:49 IST 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
> You are a Linux user, and it is easy for you to say "Use an X11 app" but
> that doen't make it "easy" to deal with for a Mac OS user. I have used
> Linux. I am not a Linux user.

I'm not saying that you should use it on Linux. The software is also
available for MS Windows and Mac OS.

> The restriction is, indeed, stupid, but I understand that this may change in
> a future release.

Keeping fingers crossed gets you nowhere you know. That restriction is
intentional it seems (what we call "Defective By Design"), and I guess
it's for pushing people to buy their next level software (I can't
remember the name of FontLab products, but if I recall correctly, the
East Asian version does not have that restriction).

I don't think you really need a software conforming to Apple Human
Interface Guidelines (I don't know if FontLab does that either) for
just packaging your font. You need a software that has less bugs
(FontForge), conforms better to the OpenType etc specifications
(FontForge), and has a better user interface for OpenType etc tables
(FontForge).

> I don't really have any problem paying for software either.

Yes, but you are not super-rich either. Being gratis helps one try the
software without worrying about the price.

> That's nice. Where's the OS X version?

Here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=103338&package_id=111040

There also seems to be some installation instructions here:
http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/mac-install.html

> I certainly intend to continue to use Fontographer to draw my glyphs.

That seems to be a good idea.

Roozbeh