[Egyptian] Unicode Technical Committee (UTC) documents about Egyptian Hieroglyphic (May 2017)

ROSMORDUC Serge serge.rosmorduc at lecnam.net
Thu Jun 1 16:38:16 BST 2017

Hello all,

I agree with Michael, the question of the name should not stop us here - as far as I am concerned, it could be called «  BLUE UNICORN » (even if I would prefer
a plain « EGYPTOLOGICAL YOD », which has the advantage of covering all possible shapes used in the past, but has been rejected for lack of extensibility).
Regarding names, our aleph is not really an aleph, so...

The purpose of unicode is not to improve nor dictate how a scholarly community should transliterate texts. Egyptology has had a tendency to entrench itself
in its own conventions, and improvements would welcome, but the goal here is to describe the current practices, not to propose new ones
(I’m not saying it’s not legitimate, but it’s not the question here).

Let’s all remember that the important thing is to have the character encoded - as a software writer, the bad support from some softwares of this sign as a composite sign have
plagued me for years, and I am very happy to see it being done.

I’m much more interested in having a good example of what it should look like for font designers to use, for the colleagues to be happy with what they get,  than about the name we give it.

Best regards,

Serge